To get lost is to learn the way.




"To get lost is to learn the way. "*


I was chatting with Doug, a 92-year-old neighbor, and towards the end of our conversation, he said, "I wish I'd been a better human being. I have so many regrets."


"Who doesn't have regrets," I replied. That's part of the journey. It's how we find ourselves, our soul." I sheepishly smiled because I thought, who am I to give a 92-year-old man advice? But he nodded and patted my shoulder. 


"I'll talk to you later, Este," he said, "I have to take care of Thelma." His wife is 97. She's sharp, but her body is failing her. Doug walked away unbalanced, bent, and pulled closer to Mother Earth. One day she will embrace him as she does all of us.


Anyway, that's life, Gloria. That's the journey. There's always conflict between mind, body, and soul. Sometimes you feel you're losing your mind, and other times you feel connected and in tune with God and His creation. The only difference between you and me is that you've just started your voyage, and I'm more than halfway into mine. 


An anecdote. Yesterday morning I woke and felt lost. A deep sadness tortured my mind, my body was in pain, and it ripped my soul apart, but I persevered. I said a quick prayer and forced myself forward step by step. I continued down the path. In the evening, while trimming evergreen bushes, a groundhog raced across the yard as crows dive-bombed him and blue-jays chirped crazily. Suddenly, I was aware of the colors, sounds, and scents around me. I was euphoric, and all I could do was thank the Creator for the moment. 


You see, we're always between "losing our mind and finding our soul." Somewhere along the path, we find ourselves. Depending on our religious beliefs, we see the "way." It's being spiritual and allowing it to guide you no matter how long it takes. Just appreciate your life and where it leads. 


*African proverb








Comments

Popular Posts