evening notes #1















1


"How are you, Mary? I hope you had a wonderful day."


Saturday night, at around 10, I was on my back porch, smoking a cigar and having a drink. Across the street, neighbors had a fire going and were roasting marshmallows. I guess it was a fellowship of Christian women. They were singing hymns and such. I was listening to Al Green, surrounded by my flowers and chimes. Occasionally the chimes played soothingly as a breeze caressed them. It was a beautiful night. The moon looked like a pearl against the night sky. Beside her, because of an astrological occurrence, Mars shone bright like the Star of David.


So there I sat, smoking my cigar, drinking my tequila, letting my thoughts drift into space when the women began to pray. I lowered my music, turned out my cigar, and listened. An older woman led the prayer, and soon others joined in. Their voices rose to a crescendo, and my heart broke, and I also prayed. They prayed for the healing of church and family members and for the healing of the world. I prayed for you and your family. I prayed His will be done, although I wished otherwise. There I was in the dark, on my porch, amid this crazy, weird, beautiful moment, praying.


I hadn't spoken to God for some time, but this wasn't planned, and it just happened. A hush fell over the gathering, then a gust of wind brought them out of their deep meditation. They hugged, and there was laughter and hallelujahs. I remembered my walk with the Lord; though it seemed like a century ago, a longing overcame me. It was a hallelujah moment, and I reflected on my life as I stared into the vast universe and listened to their worship songs. The moon, the Creator's unblinking eye, shinned its light on me, and it was good.


I sat there for a good bit thinking of you and how much I love you, but more importantly, how much our Father in heaven loves you. I felt mom and dad's presence and all our loved ones, which brought me peace. Mary, I'm here for you, but the most beautiful thing is the Great Comforter dwells within you. He will always be there.


Well, I just wanted to share my moment with you. And Nana, never forget that I love you more.

Comments

Popular Posts