When Flowers Were I n Bloom

When Flowers Were I n Bloom

Saturday



If you can only be tall because someone else is on their knees, then you have a serious problem.
-- Toni Morrison

We'd lived in Levelland, Texas, for a short time when mom decided to take us to see "The Bible: In The Beginning."  My brothers and sisters were squealing and yelling and running and jumping. They were like firecrackers on the 4th of July. I, being a mama's boy, straggled behind and stayed by mother's side. As we approached, she hesitated, stared for a second, then solemnly shook her head. She said, "When I was young, we worked the fields in this area. The first weekend we were off we drove into town to watch a movie. We came here to the Wallace Theater, but when we were ready to pay, the lady in the booth said, "No!" "But we have money," I replied. "No, no Mexicans allowed," she said. I nervously asked mom if they would allow us in. She laughed and said, "Things have changed. They have to let us in."

But even back then, I understood "having to" and "wanting to" were different concepts and therein lies the problem. We can change the law; but unless we change the heart, hate will morph and reappear as, if not something good, something acceptable...

No comments:

Post a Comment