Tejano Cornfields



















The Harvest Moon is my companion to the Lonestar.
I speak to her, as I did the night
Itzel and I made mad-dog love
and left alien swirls in the cornfield.


The Texas Tornados belted out Laredo Rose,
and we hee-hawed like motherfuckers.
I said, "The moon is giddy-eyed."
She laughed till she peed her pants --
maybe it was the tequila.

The Ghost had no authority over me.
The crooked angel ascended,
nameless inspiration,
nameless fuck

-- I confess --

Itzel’s salty tongue had dominion
over my cherry-blossom heart.
It wasn’t God, nor love of church
designed my crown that night
-- no such notion.

My name glorious and profound in her breath,
in the ruckus of the wind,
in the sacred place at sundown
where stars are confetti.
And you -- you giddy-eyed bitch --
lit us up in living light.
Ha!
Ha!
Moonlight voyeur.

But what the hell am I doing here,

a John Deere, a rusted plow, a collapsed barn,
a chicken-coop, a crumbling six room barrack,
a collapsing 5x10x10 storm-cellar.

What the hell am I doing here,
a whirling, twirling dust devil.

What the hell am I doing here,
mi corazón,
the Texas Tornados crooning, My Cruel Pain,
and skeletons rattling in the cornfields.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your welcome
    i appreciate u
    & the community

    thank u
    esteban

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:55 PM

    Ah those "skeletons [that] arattle in the cornfields" inspired an excellent poem. Kudos, Esteban!

    -Alejandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank u alejandra
    & kudos to u
    i've read
    april's poems
    very good
    especially liked
    3 post cards

    later
    my sister

    paz y amor

    esteban

    ReplyDelete
  5. La luna (msile)
    yes I love her light as well
    My entry: http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/something/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:09 AM

    Texas tornado, sounds wicked. Good job. Here's my offering: http://terri0729.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/soul-kiss/

    Enjoy the picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:43 PM

    nice! thank you for sharing. here's mine.. http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/fluttering-in-an-envelope/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very nice. I enjoy reading all the poem from the poetry potluck mine is http://gatelesspassage.com/2011/08/29/the-one-and-only-kiss/#comments

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts