When Flowers Were I n Bloom

When Flowers Were I n Bloom

Wednesday

Sister


















Sister,
what could I have done
but what I did?

Your laughter
unraveled our Master’s Lent.
Your Mongolian eyes
shut out the light

(slits of black stone).


(Where was the Savior?
Is this what older brothers
should be?)

As you rose --
the final arc --
day unveiled
and showed the balance
of God’s hand.
Night scurried
and hid in the thicket
of the wicked world.

What was his name --
Cabron! Pinche! Chingon!
What was his name,
oh Great God?

What matters is
you imbued me
with power.
I became a Danite,
son of Manoah,
and faced him
with an ass’s bone.
I would not let him grind.
Sister, not this time,
I would not let him cleave.

On the day of rest,
I brought you home
and prayed for you --
your resurrection.
But you were lost,
entombed in clay,
and I was left
with my laments.

Now,
a man,
full of iniquities,
I await your knock.
Sister,
please don’t weep.
Day is done,
and twilight is a thousand candles
God burns for you.

8 comments:

  1. This is a compelling write with some spiritual meaning I gather, but I will have to look up some of the references in the piece to truly understand it.
    Enjoy the potluck! :)
    Here is mine: http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. bless you.
    hold on your dreams tight,
    let your day fly and shine bright.

    A++

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao, and Hola.

    I have missed seeing you aeound.
    your poem is molto bene, mucho bello.

    please forgive the ...it's not spanglish when italian is thrown in..italspanglish maybe?

    will be coming by more now that i have found your site again hermano. I had gotton a new computer and lost everything.

    peace be with you.

    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic write - I loved the mythical bends you twisted into this, very provoking to the mind for a good ponder

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a compelling write with some spiritual meaning...

    lynnaima,

    thank u for visiting
    i appreciate u

    i like the subject matter
    in ur blog
    sometimes poets have to tackle
    the unpopular
    more power to u
    my sister

    i will comment soon

    later

    este

    ReplyDelete
  6. bless you.
    hold on your dreams tight,
    let your day fly and shine bright.


    thank u jingle

    peace & love

    este

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ciao, and Hola.

    I have missed seeing you aeound.
    your poem is molto bene, mucho bello...


    much love luna
    hope ur mother
    is doing well

    sorry for the late response
    but i've been so busy
    my head is elsewhere
    at the moment

    may you always walk
    in the light
    my sister

    love

    este

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic write - I loved the mythical bends you twisted into this, very provoking to the mind for a good ponder

    abthomas

    thank u brother
    will drop a line soon
    have enjoyed
    ur blog

    power
    to
    the poet

    este

    ReplyDelete